Back to School!
Finally, youíre back at school with all your friends and teachers. Learning new things every day. Playing with your friends at recess!
Has your school had a fire drill yet?
If not...you will soon. It is important to know how to leave the building if a fire started at school. A good escape plan keeps order, and reduces panic.
Are you prepared?
Do you know where the outside closest door is in case of a fire? Look by the door of your classroom. Thereís often a drawing of the quickest exit path nearby. When the fire alarm sounds, walk donít run to the designated exit. Make sure you know where to go after you get outside safely --- and stay outside with your classmates so that your teacher can make sure everyone has made it out safely!
Halloween is right around the corner. So what are you going out as this year? A witch, a cowboy, Spiderman, or maybe a firefighter! Weíre always a little partial to dressing up as a firefighter. Well no matter what you decide to go out as, there are a few things you should know to keep you safe on Halloween night.
LETíS CHECK OUT YOUR COSTUME
- Choose a costume that is flame retardant.
- Bright colors are also important, and get Mom or Dad to put some reflective tape on your outfit, so that you can be seen easily.
- Your costume shouldnít drag on the ground. You donít want to trip and spill all that great candy!
- Choose a loose fitting costume, so that you can fit warm clothes underneath.
- Sure high heels, or your Dadís big boots might go with your costume, but youíll be a lot more safe and comfortable wearing your own shoes or boots.
- Makeup is safer than wearing a mask.
- If you do wear a mask, make sure that it has large eyeholes. You need to be able to see easily not just straight ahead, but side to side as well.
- Take your mask off when crossing the street.
- If youíre carrying a prop like a fake knife or a sword, make sure that itís made of plastic, and bends easily in case you happen to fall on it.
LETíS PLAY IT SAFE OUT THERE:
- If youíre under 12, you should have an adult with you.
- If youíre old enough to go out without an adult, stay with your group, wear a watch, and tell your parents when youíll be back.
- Stick to well lit front streets. Donít cut through yards fields, or back alleys.
- Stick to sidewalks if possible. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left hand side facing traffic.
- Walk, donít run between homes to avoid falling, or being split up from your group.
- Only go to homes that are lit.
- Donít go into a strangerís home. They should always bring the candy to you, at their front door step.
- Never take a ride from a stranger.
- Carry a flashlight or glow stick. This will make you more visible to passing cars.
- Watch those Jack-O-Lanterns with candles in them. If you get too close, your costume could catch on fire.
- Donít eat any treats until you get home. Have your parents check them out first.
HAVE A SAFE HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!